Delay with hot water supply in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Magoo79

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for some advice in regards to my hot water tap in my ensuite shower.
Regardless of the time of day, once the hot water tap is turned on, their is an incredibly long delay for any water (let alone hot) to come through. It at times can take up to 90 seconds or more for any water to arrive. When it does arrive its seems to behave normally. House is only 3 years old and has been doing this for the past 2 or so weeks, prior to this water would arrive at the shower head instantly, then after 20-30 seconds the hot water would come through.

If anyone has come across this issue before or know to the reason why this is happening your advice would be appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wow, that's a new one. No water to the shower at all for that length of time? Normally water is under pressure all the time. Is this on a well?

Magoo79

Reaction score
Hi Terry, no the house is connected to standard residential water supply. The nearby ensuite basin has no delay and all other hot water tap in the house get a supply of water instantly.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It seems illogical, so we would have to know the make and model of the valve to try to determine what is happening. Does the cold water flow immediately? If so, and if you turn it to 'full' hot, it could be a sticking balancing spool that does not center itself immediately.

Last edited:

Magoo79

Reaction score
Hi HJ,
To me there pretty much standard Hot and Cold taps. The cold runs immediately after turning it on.
The hot I turn and get nothing at all regardless of how far I turn the tap itself, but then as stated above 1-2 minutes later water arrives and acts as normal. I dont hear any vibration or shuddering of water pipes either. Once it does flow with hot water, it doesn't spit and carry on as if their was air in the lines. I will take the hot water tap apart and replace the brass washer as I feel its isolated to this hot water tap only. Every other tap in the house operates as per normal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_31.jpg
    Screenshot_31.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 267

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless you have a "serious" piping issue the most logical reason is a loose washer that takes that amount of time for the pressure to push it loose from the stem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks