Deer camp well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Killdee

Reaction score
We have an old dug well at camp and have always been able to keep the pump up and running but we are having a problem this year. This is an above ground pump with 1-1/4" and 2" lines running down into the well to the jet and foot valve and after pulling it out to replace the foot valve and priming we are getting no pressure at the Gage with the valve closed going to the house. We went ahead and replaced the jet since it was 30+ years old. At this point we have our prime holding but the pump wont build up any pressure, just enough to blow a tiny bit of water when we open the prime opening. I did find the bladder tank was out of air this morning and after adding 18# when I start the pump the gauge jumps to about 20# and flutters but thats it. My guess is that the impeller is worn and we need to replace the pump. Anything else I need to check before that? I have another pump a buddy brought I need to check out first I can try next.

The well is about 100 years old 4' diameter 30-40 feet to the water with about 12 feet of water, 120 volt Berkley horizontal pump, tank is very small. pressure switch is set on at 20# off 40#
We just use the well for showering and cleaning from Late August through Jan on weekends and a couple of weeks in November then very infrequently the rest of the year.
Thanks Tony

Killdee

Reaction score
If we cant get this going thats likely what we will do Valveman. I dont think we have any leaks but will recheck. 1 of my guys reminded me that his Dad came in at the end of season last year and turned the pump breaker on and the pump had lost its prime and ran for a good while before he noticed it and shut it down. I'm thinking it messed up the impeller.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
The pump's probably OK. It has to be a leak in the 2" line if it's not pumping water. If it only builds 20 lbs of pressure means there's something in the nozzle of the jet assembly in the well. I know you said that the jet is new but it still has something plugging the nozzle. My recommendation is to install a submersible pump in the well. You can just turn it off when not there (be sure to drain it in winter). When you're ready for water again just turn on the power and the pump is already primed. It's great for part time cabins.

Killdee

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I set the pump back up today after hosing out the jet and in a 5 gal bucket with the jet and foot submerged, it pumped up to 40 and shut down. Its still holding so hopefully its fixed. Looks like the new jet was clogged after all. If a pump will work like this in a bucket that would eliminate the pump wouldnt it? I will start looking for a submersible pump to replace this one next time.
Thanks Again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks