Deep well pump problem

Users who are viewing this thread

unplumber

Reaction score
Hi Group,

I have a deep well pump that under load turns off and on. I changed the pressure switch (20/40lbs) and no change. The pressure holds @ 30-35 lbs when not under draw. Once we draw water, the pressure drops to 22 lbs and kicks on the pump. the pump returns the pressure to 40 lbs and turns off. This continues until the call for water stops.
Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Ed

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not a pro, but it sounds like to me your pressure tank needs to be looked at. Also, 40 pounds max is quite low. A typical system has a pressure tank to hold water in between pump cycles. It usually has an air chamber in it to help keep the pressureup in between pump on/off cycles. If the bladder (the thing that stretches and separates the air from the water) fails, or the air leaks out, then as soon as you open up a faucet to draw water out, the pressure drops until the pump turns on. First, knock on the tank at the top and then down towards the bottom. It should sound hollow at the top and full near the bottom. If it is the same everywhere, either the bladder failed, or it lost air pressure. So, temporarily turn the pump circuit breaker off, open a faucet until the water stops flowing, then take a tire pressure gauge and check the pressure in the tank (it should have an air valve very similar to one on your car tire). If the bladder is bad, you won't be able to pump it up, or if you do, it will quickly leak out through the open faucet. This pressure in the tank should be 2 pounds less than the turn-on pressure. If the pressure is low, and it goes up when you pump it up and holds, it may be okay. Turn things back on and try it. If the tank was full of water, and does not take and hold pressure, you'll need a new tank.

unplumber

Reaction score
Water Tank

Jim,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good place to start. The 20/40 pressure is what was on the tank. I'll try the air test and see what happens.

Take care.

Ed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks