Deep Well issues, looking for help

Users who are viewing this thread

advocation

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Let me start off by saying I am by no means an expert or know a lot about deep wells. What I know has been from research on the internet and through these forums. Now, onto the problem...

I am purchasing a house that currently has well issues. From what I have been told, it is a very old well (at least 40 years) as it has 2 inch pipe for the well. The bladder tank and deep well pump are in the basement, which I can only guess the pump is about 15 years old, and god knows how old on the bladder tank. At this time, I am not positive at the depth of the well.

The issue we are having is that the pump will not get above 32 psi. The pump will constantly run at this pressure, but will never budge any further even with the water to the house shut off. Now, we have adjusted it so the shut off right now is at about 30 psi (so at least the well won't run forever), but of course it will not kick on until almost zero pressure. The actual water pressure appears to be fine throughout the house, and it seems to be able to run for over an hour without a problem. My question is, what do the experts and guru's here think the problem may be? Could it be a bad pump/ejector/bladder tank; or do you think it simply needs a whole new well? I would rather not have to spend the 5,000 on a new well, and am hoping that a pump and maybe ejector will at least help out the problem.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

advocation

Reaction score
Start with a new pump and work your way through the issues.
Well, this was my plan but I figured I'd see if other people had the same issue(s) and what it might be. No sense in wasting money on a pump if a lot of people have seen this problem, and say it was the bladder tank......
Also, from what i've read they say to replace both the pump and ejector at the same time. Is this needed? For 2", the kits are quite expensive around $150.

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
What kind of pump is it? Deep well set-up or shallow well set-up?

A deep well pump set-up is one where the jet is actually located down in the well. You may have two pipes going to the well-one for suction and one to drive the jet. Shallow well set-up will only have one pipe going to the well.

If I'm not mistaken if there is a problem with the jet the pump will only put out about 32psi. Sounds like you either have jet trouble or possibly a broken impeller. There could be a small piece of scale plugging the jet nozzle, which is about as big as a match-head. Very common problem in this part of the country. Also goulds jets were notorious for having the plastic nozzle split, which would have the same effect. Sta-Rite MSE pumps were notorious for splitting impellers, Goulds rarely ever break impellers. Post a picture.

advocation

Reaction score
I can't take a picture of it right now, but I can tell you a little bit more about it.

It is a 3/4 HP deep well pump that is branded craftsman (who generally makes their pumps i'm not sure, but you may know better). It is what you said, it has 2 pipes coming out of the pump, so i'm guessing the jet is down in the well. Even though the pump is only about 10 or so years old, I have no clue if the previous owners replaced the jet or not. If it is a jet that needs to be replaced, how would you even go about doing that? I'm going to guess you have to dig up the well and pull it out?

Thanks for your help!

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
A lot of craftsmen pumps were made by Sta-Rite, but they had some "plastic" versions too. Some were good, some not so good.

If the jet has trash it will have to be pulled and cleaned/replaced. So yes, you have to dig it up and pull the well, probably a job for a well service company. Might still be something wrong with the pump, hard to determine over the web.

Good luck and post up what you find.

advocation

Reaction score
It may be quite a few weeks till I start to tackle this problem, but I will be sure to let you know what I find.

Any type of pump you would recommend? I was thinking of just replacing it with another craftsman (sta-rite by the looks of it), but the only issue i'm running into is trying to find the correct 2 inch packer or jet assembly for it (sears only sells the 4", been able to find a 2" flotec jet assembly that I believe would match). I would rather get a pump that I can easily, or at least find the jet for it; rather than buying a pump, finding out it's not the pump, then not being able to find the correct jet for it. Chances are I will end up calling someone if the pump doesn't fix it, but don't want to completely waste money.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The pump needs to be matched to the jet.

In the long run you might benefit from the improved serviceability of a new well drilled for a 4" submersible pump. The initial cost can be high but over time it may pay for itself.

advocation

Reaction score
The pump needs to be matched to the jet.

In the long run you might benefit from the improved serviceability of a new well drilled for a 4" submersible pump. The initial cost can be high but over time it may pay for itself.

That is why I was asking the previous question; so I can have the two matched. Having a new well drilled is a 5,000 investment. I do not want to waste the money if it is simply a jet/pump issue, where this would only run me around 400-500 for the parts and a couple hundred to have the well dug up. This is my whole reason for coming to these forums and asking for help, as the first well guy I called simply gave me the blanket statement of "it's an old 2" well, replace it".

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think TWM is right that the jet is plugged or split. If the pump has two pipes going to the well and one to the house, (three pipes total) then you have a packer down in the well, (this is where the jet assembly is) and the packer may not come out easily or at all. If you only have one pipe from the pump to the well, and one pipe to the house, (two pipes total) then it is considered a shallow well, and the jet assembly will be in the head of the pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks