Deep Well is Dry

Users who are viewing this thread

BadDad

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I just purchased a 5 acre piece of land, i'm in Southern California.
The property has a well, the previous owner said the well is 200' and hasnt been used in a couple of years.
he said the pump died.

so i had an electrical engineer come by and we tested all the systems, they are all good. however, we decided to test the depth of the well also, we hit the bottom of the well at 180' and it was dry.

So i'm assuming that if the well was 200' there is 20' of sand or something else that has collapsed and filled up the well.

I've tried calling local well companies, but they're too busy with the big agricultural jobs, and the ones that were not said they're not interested in the job.

the well casing is 12" metal pipe, and the pipe going down to the pump is 2" metal pipe, so i have no way of getting the pump up, short of calling in a crane.. and even then if its under 20' of sand i'm sure it will just break off.

Is there anything that I can do?

Also, its worth noting that most of my neighbors also have wells and their are all good. never had any problems.
I havent had a chance to ask them of their depth though. But from talking to one of the well service companies, they said the water table is at 200~230' in that area.

Thanks!!

Reach4

Reaction score
o i had an electrical engineer come by and we tested all the systems, they are all good. however, we decided to test the depth of the well also, we hit the bottom of the well at 180' and it was dry.
I am not a pro.

You could check to see if the county has records on the original depth.

Dry dry, or just shallow water? If shallow, you might be able to suck sand and water with an air lift pump. I don't know how much water depth they need to operate. Maybe a lot.

BadDad

Reaction score
I'm in Bakersfield, CA.

I used a chunk of steel, and when i pulled it up, there was a hint of moisture on it. but it was not wet.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
No.

By small diameter I mean 2" wells that are maybe 150' deep. Yours is probably a 6" well that's at least 200'? For that type of well you need a REAL drill rig.

BadDad

Reaction score
No.

By small diameter I mean 2" wells that are maybe 150' deep. Yours is probably a 6" well that's at least 200'? For that type of well you need a REAL drill rig.

mine has a 12" casing with a 2" pipe going down to the pump.

i noticed that the "little rig" comes with a 6.5" bit but they also offer a 9.5" bit.
I was thinking the 9.5" bit would be able to do the job....
according to their website that little rig can go down to 300'...

not that i wouldnt want to go with a "real rig" but after talking to one of the companies yesterday, i doubt anyone will come out.

they said that i would have an impossible time getting a permit to deepen my well, and to drill a new one would be $75 a foot, and i should go down to 500'
thats a lot of $$$

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
That little rig doesn't have the power to do what you need to have done. It would be like trying to tow a 53' trailer with a Toyota Tercel

BadDad

Reaction score
that was my fear... i think they make one with a 16hp engine...

i'm going to have to see if i can find someone with a rig who will do it as a "side-job" since i cant get any company out to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks