deep well/cistern system with 2 pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

RangerRebel08

Reaction score
First, Hello, I am new just starting into the well pump sector in life for me. I have been helping a local hotel with a water issue. They have a bizarre set up I have never seen before. They have two submersible pumps running into their system through two separate pressure tanks. First from a drilled well, second is in a large cistern. The water line from the well to the tank runs through the cistern and like a toilet when the tan is low dumps water into the cistern. Once the cistern is full enough, the water connection is made back to the tank and rest of the system. The submersible in the cistern suppose to turn on and run the system when the load becomes too much for the well pump. Has any had experience with something like this before?

I feel as though whoever designed it had the pressure switches set properly, however a new pressure was install and the cistern pump is not coming on, running the well dry without using the cistern. Any help on setting the pressure switches would be helpful.

I have been trying to figure it out for a while in my head before going to the site to work on it. From what I get from the set up is the cistern pump only comes on when the output is high, so the pressure switch is set slightly lower for the cut in pressure. But it cannot be too low or the pressure switch will not engage. So finding this special pressure should fix this issue.

Any confirmation of help with a system like this would be great,

Thank you

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is usually best to have the well pump just fill the cistern and the booster pump supplies all the water to the system. This way the water in the cistern doesn’t sit there long enough to get contaminated. Like this.
LOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
But you can use the well pump as a backup to the storage tank, or use the storage tank and booster as a backup for the well pump. This drawing has a centrifugal booster pump, but the same thing works with a sub in the cistern. Whichever pump you want to run first has the higher-pressure switch setting, and the second pump to come on has a lower pressure switch setting.
STORAGE TANK_PK1A-PLAN (2).jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks