Deep well builds pressure but no water output

Users who are viewing this thread

Lj-central-il

Reaction score
hello please help. I installed a new 3/4hp simer deep well pump on a 60' well, it is a 2 pipe system. I finally got the pump to build pressure and deliver minimal water, but minutes later it stopped delivering water and still has pressure of roughly 64psi when pump is on. Blocked intake? It has a 1" drive and 1-1/4" suction pipe, the pump now just continually runs and never gets to cut off. Obviously I'm new to wells and any troubleshooting/advice would be greatl appreciated, thank you lj

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
64 PSI is probably all the pump can build. It should have reached a cut out of 60 and shut off. Why did it go to 64 PSI? What is your pressure switch setting?

Lj-central-il

Reaction score
64 PSI is probably all the pump can build. It should have reached a cut out of 60 and shut off. Why did it go to 64 PSI? What is your pressure switch setting?
The pump says the cut off for deep well is 56psi, but I can see it stay idle at 64? And still not output

Reach4

Reaction score
The pump says the cut off for deep well is 56psi, but I can see it stay idle at 64? And still not output
Valveman was asking why the pressure switch had not cut off power to the pump, since the 64 PSI would be more than the cutoff setting for the pressure switch. He was pointing out an unexpected condition, suggesting that your pressure switch was set too high or that the pressure switch may not be working. This presumes that your pressure gauge is monitoring the same pressure that the pressure switch is seeing.

One action item would be to turn down the pressure setting on your pressure switch or to replace the pressure switch if needed. Whenever you adjust the settings on the pressure switch, you should check or adjust the air precharge in the pressure tank.

I think you may be saying that the pressure builds when the pump runs if no water is being used. But when you open a faucet to use water, the pressure gauge drops a lot. Is that your symptom? Or are you saying that the pressure gauge continues to show a high pressure while little water comes out of your faucets?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks