Deck railing optios

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by waderpro, Feb 19, 2007.

1. waderpro

waderpro New Member

Jan 16, 2007

I just added a huge deck to the house (5000+ sqft) and didn't really consider what I was going to do railing-wise. I got bids for various component railing systems that range from powder-coated aluminum to stainless steel with different infills depending on view, windblock, and stairs. So far, low bid for material only is about $18,000 which still has me with sticker shock.

I am now considering using a wood system in order to reduce costs and still infill with cable, glass, and pickets depending on location/application on the deck.

Has anyone ever worked with the hardwoods (iron wood, tiger wood) and know comparitive expense, how they hold up to weather, and maintenace requirements, etc.?

I am willing to explore any and all options.

Thanks in advance for your input.
  2. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

Nov 25, 2006
    IMHO people around here are gong insane spending huge bucks to overbuild lake homes....but here's a couple of links to the forum. These are two totally different decks but shows a couple of different or unusual ways people have put railing on their decks. If you want a more economical and very long lasting "fence" around your deck then you might want to look at the vinyl products available.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement