Decisions, decisions..

Users who are viewing this thread

TheZster

Reaction score
snap_cutter.jpg

In the middle of a new project in an old house. I'm relocating a toilet and adding a bath/vanity. I've got a 4inch cast drain that I'm tapping into. I currently plan to cut the current drain with a snap cutter, right behind the existing female flange and tie in PVC with a Fernco. On the other hand, there is a female fitting currently that is at the proper level and in good condition on the existing cast pipe (The old toilet elbow can come out reasonably easily). Is there an adapter that will fit "inside" the old female end that I would run my new PVC into - or am I better off just snap cutting and going cut end of Cast iron to cut end of PVC?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Fernco makes a rubber insert that replaces a lead poured joint.

I sometimes use a drill bit and drill out a bit of the old lead, pry the rest out with a screwdriver and pull the oakum out.

A little bit of liquid soap helps the pipe to slide in. I also take a knife and taper the end.

washer_b4.jpg

2" ABS pipe into a cast iron hub fitting using a inside Fernco.

Last edited:

TheZster

Reaction score
Well, I appreciate your concern, I really do. But, I've been running plumbing for about 10 years now, all permitted and inspected to code. Not claiming to know it all though. When I do run into a situation I've not encountered before, I tend to come to this forum for advice prior to covering my bases with the permit office. This was my first encounter with cast iron DWV systems, hence my question.

Molo

Reaction score
Terry said:
Fernco makes a rubber insert that replaces a lead poured joint.

I sometimes use a drill bit and drill out a bit of the old lead, pry the rest out with a screwdriver and pull the oakum out.

A little bit of liquid soap helps the pipe to slide in. I also take a knife and taper the end.

washer_b4.jpg

2" ABS pipe into a cast iron hub fitting using a inside Fernco.

How does that seal? Do use silicone? I have cast iron all over my town (ave. home built in 1900)

TheZster

Reaction score
Update: Not enough room to drill out the oakum/lead fitting - so rented a snap cutter for $35 and had a clean cut in less than a half hour. Bought a Fernco fitting - and am back in business..... Thanks again for all the assistance.....

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
molo said:
How does that seal? Do use silicone? I have cast iron all over my town (ave. home built in 1900)

Nope, compresssion makes its water-tight seal.

The trick to those along with soap is to put the service weight gasket in a pot of boiling water.

It becomes extremely pliable and allows for easier install.

I did one yesterday....with hot water. 3X1.5" Fernco over a 3" outside hub on a 3 by 4 double wye.

Cutting that double wye out was out of the question.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks