Deciding which carbon (GAC) filter to remove city Chloramine

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by PeteC, Sep 26, 2013.

1. PeteC

PeteC New Member

I would like to remove chloramine from my city water for my hobby fish farm, requiring about 250 gallons of new water per week (about 12,000 gallons a year). And also for drinking water (10 gallons a week).

I was at first considering a Large 20" PENTEK Cartridge in a "Big Blue" canister.

Looking in to it further I am now considering a back washable carbon system.

I was wondering advantages and disadvantages between the two modes of carbon filtration?

Also there are many used water softener systems available here on craigslist. Can I convert those into backwashing carbon systems?

2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Retired
    Backwashed is much better than a cartridge filter and over time, you'll spend less money.

Changing a control valve from a softener to filter can be done on some valves but you have to know what you are doing and how to do it.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. PeteC

PeteC New Member

Thank you.