Dealing with imperfect surface on bottom of sink around drain hole

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
I suspect I already know the answer to this question, but ...

I have an American Standard sink with what appears to be a casting / finishing issue on the bottom surface of the sink where the drain hole is formed. It appears there's a bubble or void in the surface that allows water to leak past the rubber spud washer on the bottom of the pop-up assembly (the washer extends about half-way between the hole and the edge of the surface). Is a replacement sink the only "correct" solution, or can this defect be sanded out or otherwise dealt with? I don't relish the idea of gooping this up with silicon or plumber's putty as that seems like a hack.

This is an undermount sink that was attached by the counter top fabricators so it will likely be a bit of a pain to pull it and replace it.

Attachments

• P1010161.jpg
    P1010161.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 300
  • P1010158.jpg
    P1010158.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 347

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may be able to sand that.
If you use Silicone, the drain will be there for 20 years or so. It's not like you would have to worry about it.
Terry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks