Dealing with flange on fiberglass shower

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by ehlinn, Feb 2, 2005.

1. ehlinn

ehlinn New Member

I am installing a fiberglass shower enclosure. My enclosure has a nailing flange that is 3/16th of an inch. I want to run drywall up to the shower, but to do this right I will have to furr out the entire wall to compensate for the thickness of the flange. Do any of you guys have a simpler solution or is this my only solution? Can I stop short of the flange with my drywall and use thinner drywall to fill the space?

Thanks,

Eric
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

notch the studs...a circular saw set the right depth, numerous cuts maybe 1/4" apart, then chip them out. Hey, it works for me...may be other ideas. 3/16" won't hurt the strength of the studs.
  3. ehlinn

ehlinn New Member

Thanks, that sounds good to me.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Dealing with nailing flange

Maybe I don't get the picture, but notching the studs would make the problem greater wouldn't it? If you want the drywall to cover the nailing flange perfectly flat, there are two ways to do it; fur the studs out flush (best) If you have a decent table saw, ripping 3/16" slats is a breeze. You could scrape 3/16" from the backside of the lower edge of the drywall, but I don't like that too well as you weaken the drywall on an edge and expose the plaster to possible moisture although caulking should prevent that, it still isn't my idea of the best way.