Deadly mudslide in Snohomish County Washington

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Tragicly, in Washington State this week, we lost many neighbors that lived along highway 530 in a small community on the way to Darrington. Many times in the Summer I have traveled that route, heading to the mountains of the North Cascades. It's a beautiful valley, with views of nearby hillsides and tall moutains, some with glaciers. It's like a land lost in time, far from the hustle of the Seattle area. The area has large rivers, good for fishing and eagle watching. In moments, an entire community near a bend in the river was wiped out by a mudslide from the hill above, 600 feet of dirt, trees and mud that lost contact with the earth and slid headlong across the river and kept sliding until it reached and covered state highway 530.

We've all seen evidence of mudslides and avanlanches in the mountains. On a yearly basis, some of the ski runs, and lake hikes I go to, I see large swathes of downed trees and destruction. This landslide, instead of hitting higher in the mountains, outside of hiking season, this one caught people at home having their morning coffee. This one took them where the slept and lived.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/deadly-mudslide/eight-questions-about-washington-mudslide-n62151

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks