Dead frogs in salt tank!

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
One morning after backwashing my water was very smelly. I checked the tank and found 2 decaying frogs in the salt tank. I removed the frogs and poured about 1 1/2 cups bleach in tank and did a manual backwash. Then I repeated this again. Since then the hot water is fine, but the cold water is still smelly and foul tasting. The water coming directly from the well is ok. I don't get it. Please help.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tats why they make covers for the brine tank. Empty and clean the brine tank. Use a little bleach and rinse it well. Refill the salt and run a couple manual regeneration s back to back.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Add a cup of bleach to the brine tank and regenerate the softener to sanitize the resin. Some people on this site have actually said cleaning the brine tank is not needed... sigh I don't have a good reason, but frogs seem to be common in water treatment equipment, including inside of softeners and GAC tanks. Nasty little things!

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree. Adding bleach to the salt may not disinfect all the salt. I would dump out all the old salt, use bleach and scrub the inside of the brine tank, then use new salt.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Oops, I meant to do what you recommended. Replace the salt, clean the brine tank, but also add some bleach to the new salt to sanitize the new system. Do not just add bleach to the old salt.. nasty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks