Dayton Sump Pumps?

Users who are viewing this thread

loafer

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Are they junk?

I'm using a 3/4Hp, 110GPM model to drain an 18 gallon tank used to recover water from an engine dyno. The pump sits for months at a time w/o being used. When we go to use it, it just hums but won't spin. If I take the pump out, spin the impeller with my hand it will then work. The first time this happened the tank was left empty for months, so I figured rust on the impeller may have jammed it. After that I started leaving the pump fully submerged in water, but the same thing happend. The water is clean city water.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is a better quality pump the solution? Or is it just sitting too long w/o use?

Thanks,
Josh

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Dayton rebrands some good pumps. I have a few without problems. But pumps like to pump not sit. Maybe a tether and a lift and drop on the pump would get it going without a spin. Take it out after a few months in the basin and see how much it takes to move the impeller. If its not "sticky" you probably have a motor issue. Maybe a ball pein hammer with a long handle....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks