Dap-Out or not??

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by JeffV, Jan 31, 2007.

1. JeffV

JeffV New Member

My tub is already set and I'm about to backfill and pour concrete (basement slab). I understand in my area that a dap out and access panel are code if I've got a drain stop w/ the mechanics inside the pipe. I don't have this type of stopper and know that by code I don't need an access panel. Is a dap-out required or recommended for any reason? The actual trap is well below where the bottom of the slab would lie, so there would only be the one drain coming up vertically through the concrete from the trap to the tub drain/overflow. Thoughts?

Thanks - Jeff
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

dap-out

What is a "dap out"? I have never heard that term in 55+ years as a plumber.
  3. Cookie

Cookie .

Hj,
    A dap out is a step down/a recess in concrete. I am pretty sure, I am right on this. If not, oh well, lol.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

dap out

We would call that a box out, and it is needed to give access to the trap and is then cemented over.
  5. JeffV

JeffV New Member

Sounds good.

That's what I was hoping to hear... that you cement back over them. Thanks HJ.
  6. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

WOW... I've torn out a pile of tubs for replacements and remodels and have never seen a box out cemented over. I've seen them cemented over during slab pours then knocked out for access during construction.
  7. Racer814

Racer814 New Member

^me neither
  8. Rancher

Rancher Guest

You cement over the box out to keep the creepy crawly's out of the house... at least you should, I didn't do it, and now wonder if there stuff in the closed off tub area...

Rancher