Dan's Bathroom Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

DanM

Reaction score
I have started a few threads around here about the bathroom remodel. I should probably consolidate the questions going forward so I don't pollute this site with excess threads.

During the rebuild of the floor (completely rotted out) I tugged a pipe to the side to get my tool into place. Unfortunately, it caused a weak 90 fitting to pop loose and spray water everywhere. This was a blessing in disguise. The plumber came over a little later and took a better look at the pipes and did not like that they were laying along the wall board below. Any further problems and this would have been near impossible to fix. Other joints showed signs of poor workmanship as well. We decided that it was worth the extra effort to replace the pipes as far back as possible with PEX. The tub proved to be a challenge to get in and keep the apron straight.

The rough plumbing is done. I could not have asked for better plumbers. At times they seemed like a bad Abbot and Costello sketch, but they appear to have done quality work. He let his loose a few times as he attached the tub drain through a tight opening. He then came over to my wife and me and apologized for cursing in the presence of the kids. To me, that was real class.

Pictures are in the link below for your review. Please let me know if there is anything you see that might be a problem.
https://goo.gl/photos/5Q5EQHw4cZYJVNtE7

Dan

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm in Washington State, so we may do things a little different here.
It looks pretty good. I think at this point I would leave it.

I like that he brought up 2" for the double lavs and wet vent them correctly. He has a copper tub spout which is good. Strapping looks nice and everything looks very nice.

Things I would have done that is different, is using metal wrapped couplings on the pipes to prevent shifting.
Long turn 90's for horizontals and going from vertical to horizontal. There is one place he put two medium 90's together. I would have used either one long 90, or maybe one long 90 with a 45 if he wanted to wind up at a higher location.

DanM

Reaction score

I like that he brought up 2" for the double lavs and wet vent them correctly. He has a copper tub spout which is good. Strapping looks nice and everything looks very nice.

Things I would have done that is different, is using metal wrapped couplings on the pipes to prevent shifting.
Long turn 90's for horizontals and going from vertical to horizontal. There is one place he put two medium 90's together. I would have used either one long 90, or maybe one long 90 with a 45 if he wanted to wind up at a higher location.

Thanks for the feedback!! Are there any issues with recessing the pex clips into the studs?? I'm concerned they might make the wall bulge.

I think I know the 90s you are referring to. There is a height restriction between the floor joists and the suspended ceiling.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Those "suspension" clips are more intended to be used to attach the PEX to the underside of rafters (like a basement ceiling run). I would switch to the copper stub outs for feeding sinks and toilet. But if you want to keep it the way it is now, it should be fine. Any small bulging in the drywall won't be noticeable behind the sink cabinets.
Such as http://www.supplyhouse.com/ProPEX-Expander-Fittings-363000

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks