Danco 80959, old shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin Crafton

Reaction score
Any idea what this old shower valve is? It is leaking and at Lowes I was told and sold parts for an "old Delta" valve but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to remove the ball valve. The old Delta valves I see online are similar but once you take the dome nut off the cam and ball valve comes out. This one doesn't. It appears to me that the pieces at the top and the bottom of the cam are holding it in and I am wondering if it takes a special tool. I believe this was put in when the home was built which would make it early 90s in vintage (we bought the home 5 years back). Thanks in advance for any help you can give me in solving mystery so I can fix the leak.

kc

IMG_2609.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
It should just pull out. Grab the stem and shake it while pulling.

Kevin Crafton

Reaction score
It should just pull out. Grab the stem and shake it while pulling.

John,

I pulled on it pretty good as I left the handle screw and pulled on it with a pair of channel locks. I was a little inhibited to get crazy with it not having a replacement part with no shut off on the shower plumbing I didn't want to risk screwing it up and not having water for a while...

Kevin Crafton

Reaction score
This is it; Milwaukee/Universal Rundle

Smooky,

You are the man! I am a pretty adept googler and could not find that cartridge in any of my many and extensive musings. Much appreciated as with the replacement cartridge I can achieve what I set out to do - fix the leak and not ring up a big job / expense. I saw this site in my musings and after having 2 Lowe's employees tell me that it was a Delta yet it did not match anything I had studied on Delta units I decided to post here with a pic and see if I could learn something. Learn something I did - I learned you guys are awesome! Thank you my man...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin Crafton

Reaction score
Have a licensed plumber replace it with a MOENTROL ..

If I were aiming higher you are right on with the thought but this is our spare bathroom which it not used much and my aim was simply to fix the leak (and broken knob). My wife got my attention on the leak when she put a metal plant watering can under the drip so we "wouldn't waste the water" which at times kind of drives you nuts with that drip, drip, drip. And rest assured I am a DIY home owner that will tackle many challenges but replacing that valve would not be one of them. It I were aimed at replacing a licensed plumber it would be. Plumbing issues are my least favorite challenges...

Kevin Crafton

Reaction score
Fantastic Kevin, I’m glad we could help you!
Smooky,

One more question related but not directly -- when I dug into this I of course I removed the knob and the escutcheon and later realized I did not have to remove the escutcheon. But when putting it back on I realized it is a "deep" model with a distinct concave shape which goes slightly past the base of the valve which I am afraid will leak. It really should more of a flat escutcheon so that it doesn't go past the base of the valve. That said I have been looking online and all of the escutcheons I have seen have the 2 bolt holes to the bottom which should still work but then the "H"ot and "C" would be backwards (and upside down) as the bolt holes on this valve are to the top side. Would you happen to know of a replacement escutcheon that would work for this valve?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks