damp threaded joint

Users who are viewing this thread

Ross Hunt

Software Engineer
Reaction score
I connected a hose bib to some copper pipe via a female adapter. I was preparing to close the wall when I noticed that the bottom of the threaded joint is just very slightly damp. I have been monitoring it for several days now and there is no drip formation but the slight dampness continues (though - I would say that it is decreasing). I would prefer to not take apart the sweated coupling that is just a few inches away, followed a few inches further by a tee.

Is there a good product to apply to adequately seal that joint or would I be cruising for trouble by not taking it apart and doing it over again.

RH

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Once water has come into contact with a poor solder joint, the only proper way to fix it is to completely redo it. You have already indicated you do not trust this joint. Go with the gut feeling, you'll never feel good about that joint otherwise. If you are concerned about other joints that are close getting too hot, you may be able to protect them with a wet rag wrapped around them. There is no "easy-repair-in-a-tube" that will work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks