Damn it! Can I fix a Sterling vikrel tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I'm helping my daughter remodel a townhouse she bought and we researched here and elsewhere and decided on a Sterling tub and surround for the upper bath. I have a thread on it posting as LocalHero but for some reason my account wouldnt let me post anymore.

Anyway, my daughter was cleaning that tub this afternoon and discovered a crack. We think it had to be the sheetrock guys or the hvac guys but we have no proof of anything. So our options are to replace the tub or patch it or ignore it. We don't want to replace it... The crack is on the upper tub wall where it will be covered by a shower curtain during a a shower and the water won't rise that high in a bath. Is there a way to patch it?

I'm trying to include pictures but not sure I remember how...
the red arrow points to a smaller crack. Maybe someone dropped a cordless drill on it? Damn.

sterling-crack.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With many fiberglass and acylic tubs you can repair them in place.
I would check with a local tub repair outfit and see if they've worked with Sterling tubs.
"chip repair"

Reaction score
Do you realize how "flimsy" the tub would have to be to crack at that location, which should be one of the strongest areas on the bathtub.

I'm not sure what you're saying, but yes I do realize that it's one of the strongest areas of the tub. I handled this tub every which way when I installed it with my eyes very close to it and I find it hard to believe it was cracked then and I wouldn't have seen it. I'm not sure what would crack it like that but the only subs that were in after install so far have been Sheetrock and HVAC. The HVAC guys have shown themselves to be hacks but I'm still not sure just what one would have to do to crack it like that. None the less, I'm dealing with a crack.... I'm thinking I'll get a kit specifically from Sterling and do it myself.

For some reason I'm not getting emails about replies. I created this new profile when the forum stopped allowing me to log in with my old user id and password so now this shows up as my first post. Oddly it seems to have filled in my avatar from my old ID automatically. Forum is going haywire on me...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is it a scratch or a crack?
Kinda looks like the edge of a drywall sheet mighth have landed there.
I switched your preference to flextile setting.
You can play around with that. The old usename doesn't log on though? Does it allow a password change?

Reaction score
I hadnt' thought of a sheet of rock hitting it. Might be what happened... It is definitely a crack though it's tight and with no movement. In the one link in my original post I have an arrow pointing to a second smaller crack. I'm guessing something hit the tub right about where the quarter is.
I thought I'd be most likely to be successful with a kit made by Sterling specifically for their tubs. I'll call them today to see if they make such a thing.

I don't think I ever got an email to allow a password change but not sure I remember how it all went at this point. I do remember sending a request to tech help but I never got a response.

Thanks for the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks