damaging new equipment???

Discussion in 'Computers and Stuff' started by fast pasquale, Feb 22, 2007.

1. fast pasquale

fast pasquale hardwood flooring contractor

new hp fax/scanner/printer/copier is on the way. Im thinking about setting it up with my old (6yr) computer that is probally full of viruses and is slow as heck.. My ? is could i do any damage to my new all in one device from hp if i connect it to my old shabby computer???
  2. brownizs

brownizs In the Trades

Connecting the printer to the old computer is not going to do anything. The best thing to do for the older computer, is attempt to clense it of any viri before connecting the new one up to it, to transfer any files. You may want to visit http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35 for more info on how to clean a viri ridden machine of the nastys.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

all in one

You do not transfer any files to the new equipment when you connect it. All that is sent to it is the data to be printed. But, the efficiency of the machine may be affected by the slowness of the computer.
  4. zimmee66

zimmee66 New Member

No worries...

your new MFC should be fine. no damage. But I'm willing to bet you'll have trouble installling supporting software and print drivers. Save yourself grief and clean your PC *before* you install anything that comes iwth the printer.

For a free, thorough, legit virus online scan try:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

and to get rid of spyware and such try "AdAware" and "SpyBot Search And Destroy" (check google).

All are free...
  5. brownizs

brownizs In the Trades

zimmee66 The link I posted to Majorgeeks will explain everything. Suggesting to google fixes, will just point a person to illegitimate sites.
  6. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

You could also look into hooking your new device directly to the network.
  7. zimmee66

zimmee66 New Member

Well, not necessarily--Adaware shows up as the first hit on google and Spybots official site is too. Trendmicro is of course a direct link.

Your point is well taken though--for an inexperienced user it is best to start with a reputable SW site. Or, I should have typed URLS for the apps.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2007