Damaged Water Heater at Depot

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I had to bring this up on the board and can't believe I didn't take pictures of it yesterday when i saw it. Gonna swing by tomorrow if it hasn't been scooped up yet!!

Was at the Depot and they had a 40gallon nat gas water heater on markdown. It was marked down like 40%....here's the kicker.

The thing was totally beat up. It looked like someone took a bat to it. Or like it took a dive down a couple of flights of stairs.

I wouldn't trust the thing in my enemy's house!!

Could people be so stupid as to A.) sell this thing to a unknowing DIY'er. B.) Be stupid enough to jump on the great deal!!

If someone were to buy this thing, have it installed or install it themselves, and then it went boom. Wouldn't the Depot be liable?? I mean it seems like really gross negligence.

Even my wife looked at it and said OMG they're selling that thing?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

Only 40%? It sounds like it should have been marked down at least 75%. Did it still have the nameplate on it. If not it was probably submitted as a defective heater and they are trying to make additional money off of it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What probably happened is that either it was damaged in handling in the store, or their installer damaged it, or a customer damaged it and they took it back anyway.

The mistake they always make on these "deals" is asking too much. As hj mentioned, 40% off that little beauty would not stir much interest. Much of their "yellow" tag clearance stuff ends up getting thrown away, after sitting around the store and getting picked at until no one would but it at any price.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That's dreadful and reminds me of when my licensed plumber was about to wheel my new Bradford down the steps to my walkout basement, bashing the thing one step at a time. Luckily I stopped him and lifted the dolly from the other end.

I helped him with the rest of the install for punishment. It took him a few more hours that way.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I like to sort thorugh the used tool department. Drills and such that look like someone dropped them off an 8 story building and then dragged them behind the van for a couple of miles. They are kind enough to discount them 10 to 20%.. Gee.. thanks.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I recently was looking for an item that at big box that came in a 5 pack and a 25 pack. I only needed a couple of them and all they had was 1-25 pack that had been opened and all but 7 of the item was taken... They were out of the 5 pack.

No problem I figure they'll cut me a deal and who knows maybe I'll even get 7 for the price of a five pack...

Nope... They'll give me 10% off the cost of the 25 pack which translates to paying for 3-5 packs...

No thanks! I'm going down the road!:mad:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
People are VERY STUPID

People are very stupid and very cheap......

they will buy anything if it will save them money....

Beleive it or not.....

in our town their is a hardware store that will actually sell
used water heaters....

we take our old heaters to this fellow ...no matter how old...or how beat up

as long as they dont leak, he will pay $18.00
for them.....

then he cleans them, paints them if necessary, takes off the t+p valve, and turns around and sells them to local landlords ect for $169.00....

(with a 30 day guarantee)

it never ceases to amaze me....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heaters

Where and why do you get used heaters that are not leaking? There used to be a company here that actually repaired leaking heaters and then resold them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks