damaged subfloor

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by newby, Dec 4, 2007.

1. newby

newby New Member

First, the hole for the flange was cut too big and the flange is not all that secure to the floor. Now the toilet seems to be sinking/leaning.

I'm ready to repair it, but would like to tear up as little as possible.
    What is the minimum amount of floor I can cut out and replace and still be solid. Do I need to span a certain number of floor joists? New flooring will be linoleum of some kind. Needing to keep the costs as low as possible.
    What am I facing here?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Replacing a larger chunk of floor is not much more work, and in fact may end up being less work, than trying to piece in a very small patch.
    One technique is to add some sister joists to attach a patch piece to. If you don't do this, then you have to get the old subfloor cut right on the centerline of a joist so a patch can share. This is tedious. Better to cut out a little more subfloor, and use the sister joist technique.

Sheet flooring requires an absolutely smooth substrate. You will have to either go over the entire floor with some 1/8" or 1/4" luan, or carefully feather all subfloor seams with leveling compound. Probabaly both.
  3. newby

newby New Member

Thanks for the info.