cycling of pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by rreith, Sep 23, 2013.

1. rreith

rreith New Member

I sure you nice folks can help. A couple of day ago I noticed that my well pump started cycling a lot, so I looked at the pressure-it would drop to about 40psi and kick on the pump. pressure would come up quickly-within a few seconds, then shut off at about 70psi then drop back down to about 40 within about a minute. I suspected a leak so I shut off the valve after the tank and still the drop in pressure. I have determined that I losing pressure on the pump side. doing some reading I have assumed it is some sort of check valve or sifter valve. im not sure where these are located to check them. I have a red jacket 1/2hp submersed pump. thank-you very much for the help.
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

If the pressure comes up within seconds, your tank is probably waterlogged. Do you have a bladder tank?

The pressure loss could be a bad checkvalve or a leak between the pump and the tank.
  3. rreith

rreith New Member

I do have a bladder type tank. I assume it has kind of an air bag inside it. it has a vale stem on top of the tank. can I or should I check for water in there? How do I check for leak in between pump and tank. my pump is out in the back yard and tank is in basement. thanks so much for your help!
  4. LLigetfa

In that case, the leak might be at the footvalve.

Earlier you said you had a submersible. SO which is it, in the back yard or in the well?
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  5. rreith

rreith New Member

My pump is a submersible in a well in the back yard. thanks.
  6. LLigetfa

Ok, then split the system at the pitless. Lift the pump so you can cap the line with a Tee that has a pressure gauge and a schrader valve. Pump air in and see if it holds. If it doesn't hold, the leak is between the pitless and the pump. If it doesn't leak suspect a leak between the pitless and the tank.
  7. rreith

rreith New Member

Thanks- appreciate your time. Ill give it a shot.
  8. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

You need to drain your tank to make sure the tank has the proper amount of air in it.

If your tank is waterlogged a leaking valve will seem to be a big problem, But you can live with a small leak short term if needed, If your tank has air in it. But the pump will cycle every now and then when no water is in use.

Good Luck.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013