Cycle Time has shortened for well pump!

Users who are viewing this thread

TheFist

Reaction score
Recently I have noticed my pump kicks on a lot quicker than it use to. I can also hear water trickle into my tank. I don't know much about air pressure in the tank but I do see there is a stem to add or take pressure out. Can anyone tell me what might be happening so I can fix the problem myself? My pump kicks on around 20 and shuts down around 50. I think this is normal but the pressure seems to drop quicker than it use to. seems like my pump is running an aweful lot. Any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Brandon

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your tank's bladder may be shot or it could need some air. Also, there is usually only about 20 pounds variance between turn-on and turn-off.

To check the pressure, turn off the pump, open a faucet until the water stops, then using a tire pressure gauge, check the pressure. If water comes out, replace the tank. Otherwise, the tank should have 1-2 pounds LESS than the turn-on pressure. You can use a bicycle pump or an air compressor (but be careful not to overinflate it).

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could be a leaky check valve. Here are some things to check out. You can skip steps 3 and 4 for now if you want to get at the leak problem right away.

1. Verify that you have a good gauge.

2. Check the time to fill the tank. Shut off all usage and then run the water until the pump starts. Measure the time in seconds to pump to shutoff. Record the time and start and stop pressure.

3. Measure the air pressure in the tank with a tire gauge. It should be the same as the water pressure gauge. Differences are gauge error. Don't worry about small error but notice the difference.

4. Check the air in the tank. Shut off the power to the pump and run water until there is no more pressure. Then, using a tire gauge, set the air pressure in the tank to 2 psi LESS than the pump-start pressure. Take into account the pressure difference you observed in step 3. If the air is off a bit, don't worry too much but plan to add some air later.

5. With all water demand off in the house, run the pump until it shuts off. Then watch the gauge for about 15 minutes. It shouldn't change much if it changes at all. If it loses significant pressure, then you have a leak somewhere.

6. Possible leaks are:
a. Check valve at the pump or in the suction pipe. If you have a submersible, the check valve is probably in the pump. If you have a shallow well jet, it is probably a foot valve at the bottom of the pipe. It may be in the pipe near the tank. It will probably be a brass cylinder, perhaps with an arrow on it pointing away from the pump.
b. Leak in the pipe somewhere between the tank and the well.
c. Leak in your supply system. Least likely because you would notice it, unless you have an irrigation system that might be leaking.

TheFist

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone! The problem has been resolved! Great site to come to and get things fixed right!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks