Cycle Stop Valve CSV1Z Results

Users who are viewing this thread

Jluksic

Reaction score
I recently installed a Cycle Stop Valve (CSV) model CSV1Z, approximately 1 foot from my pressure switch/pump tank.

My well delivers ~ 10 GPM, pressure switch is set to 40/60 and State pump tank.

Results:

The CSV provides constant pressure at "high" (high = greater than 6 gpm) demand. Running one shower does not "demand" enough water and therefore, the CSV has no effect on house ressure (i.e. the pump will cycle when the pump tank has provided its reserve).

I installed and configured my CSV to provide ~ 55 psi at ~ 9 gpm, to support my sprinkler system. In this application, it's an excellent product.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Valveman

Dear jluksic
If the CSV1Z is holding 55 PSI at 9 GPM, then it will hold a steady 60 PSI for your shower. You just need to turn up your pressure switch to 45/65. the you will also have constant pressure in your shower.
Valveman

Jimmym

Reaction score
I've got the CSV1 (60PSI). Roughly 52/67 PSI cut in/out. Great pressure. My pump will run continuously as I shower. Usually the most demanding thing I do is fill the tub and the pump holds 60 PSI even if I turn on other things at once. The pump won't push past 60 PSI unless I'm just running the bathroom faucet continuously. How is your pump reaching shutoff pressure if more than 1 GPM is flowing?

Jluksic

Reaction score
Note to all:

After reading your replies, I realized I had incorrectly "tuned" my CSV1Z. Starting from scratch, I opened the adjusting screw all the way (turned left), created a 2 GPM load and fine tuned my CSV1Z to hold the load at a constant 55 psi.

Now, my CSV1Z delivers almost perfect performance at any 2 GPM load or above.

The only other observation is that my CSV1Z holds "constant" pressure only when the pump tank/pump cycle is on the rise... that is if my current house pressure is less than ~55 psi and I open a load greater than 2 GPM, the pressure will decrease until the pressure switch reaches the low set point (40 psi) and "kicks" in the well pump. After the pump starts to cycle (and assuming a greater than 2 GPM continues), the house pressure will increase until settling at a steady at 55 psi (this is the "constant" pressure).

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Valveman

jluksic
The CSV1Z can't do anything until the pump starts. If you do not like the pressure dropping to 40 PSI before the pump starts you can loosen off all the way on the small screw in the pressure switch. This should get you 12 to 15 pounds between on and off instead of the 20 PSI you have now. In other words your pump will start at 45 or 48 PSI, the CSV1Z will steady the pressure at 55 PSI as long as you are using at least 2 GPM. Just make sure that the pump is still shuting off at about 60 PSI when no water is being used. This is also why some people like a smaller tank because the drop to start up pressure does not take as long. A smaller tank will get you up and going and to the constant pressure quicker but, the larger tank and a wider pressure switch bandwidth gives you more stored water in the tank and keeps the pump from cycling as much for intermident water use such as toilets and ice makers. It is a trade off. But, I have found that the CSV takes off so many cycles for irrigation and other long term water use that we can afford a few more cycles for the house use. So a smaller tank and/or a narrow bandwidth on the pressure switch should not reduce the pump life by much, and gives a more enjoyable constant pressure in the house.

Jluksic

Reaction score
Valveman,
Your statement below is 100% correct - it's a trade off but bottom line is the CSV1Z works well in our home application. Totally unofficial observation - we seem to be taking longer showers now that pressure is constant - that is, there's no reason to end a shower based on anticipated pressure dropping to the low point.... Strange. When I have the time I'll also adjust the pressure switch to 45psi and adjust the bladder pressure accordingly.

"It is a trade off. But, I have found that the CSV takes off so many cycles for irrigation and other long term water use that we can afford a few more cycles for the house use. So a smaller tank and/or a narrow bandwidth on the pressure switch should not reduce the pump life by much, and gives a more enjoyable constant pressure in the house."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks