Cutting toilet closet bolts

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are many ways of cutting closet bolts when installing toilets. Most people use a hack saw blade. If you have a good flange, and have secured the closet bolts to the flange with washer and nut, then you may want to try our method. It breaks off clean and leaves a good thread. That makes it easy to remove and replace the nuts if you need to pull and reset the bowl. Terry Love

If you use a hack saw blade, cut part way through, and then wiggle the bolt back and forth until it breaks away. If you try to cut it all the way through, the saw can slip past the bolt and scratch the bowl. It can also make it hard to rethread a nut on if you're not careful at the last bit.

Or just snap the bolt and it's good. If you have used "brass" bolts, not coated steel, and have nutted and washered at the flange.

www.plumbinghacks.com

Last edited:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Terry Love, I'm going directly over to Facebook and bust you out, you Hack. LOL! The one thing I did want to say in response to what you said about this on another thread is this: I have, in the past, had the type of bolts that are designed to break and I'll be damned if, while twisting with the pliers, they broke at a place other than where they were supposed to!

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
There are many ways of cutting closet bolts when installing toilets. Most people use a hack saw blade. If you have a good flange, and have secured the closet bolts to the flange with washer and nut, then you may want to try our method. It breaks off clean and leaves a good thread. That makes it easy to remove and replace the nuts if you need to pull and reset the bowl. Terry Love

If you use a hack saw blade, cut part way through, and then wiggle the bolt back and forth until it breaks away. If you try to cut it all the way through, the saw can slip past the bolt and scratch the bowl. It can also make it hard to rethread a nut on if you're not careful at the last bit.

Or just snap the bolt and it's good. If you have used "brass" bolts, not coated steel, and have nutted and washered at the flange.
I have done it this way for many years.And always used brass bolts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks