Cutting PVC pipe...angle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hey guys! When cutting pvc pipe must the cut always be square relative to the angle of the pipe or relative to what you want the rest of the pipe to be parallel to?

Example: a piece of pipe is coming out through a joist at an angle but I want to straighten the pipe so it's parallel to the ceiling under it. When I cut the pipe (2" pvc) to add a coupling, how should I cut it?

I've been told to always cut it square relative to the pipe itself. Indeed, I tried cutting it square to the floor so I could get the rest of it straight and all it did was just catch on the longest lip.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the drain fittings are designed with a slope in them. IOW, a 90-degree fitting isn't really 90-degrees. Cutting the pipe at an angle won't change that, but it will make the joint less robust with an edge that could catch crud. A drain pipe should NEVER run horizontal...it should have at least a little slope to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks