Cutting into block wall for shower water supply

Users who are viewing this thread

Alan Wheeler

Reaction score
I am replacing an old tub with a walk in shower. The faucets are located low for the tub and I want to place the new shower faucet at a higher height. The water pipes sit in a rendered concrete block wall and I am wary of chiseling into the block in case it affects the strength of the wall. What would be the best way to re-plumb this wall? Is it safe to jack hammer into the block?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Alan

Reach4

Reaction score
Look into renting a core drill if 1 or more circular holes will do the job.

On the other hand, chiseling in should work OK too. Wear the proper safety glasses.

index.php

Alan Wheeler

Reaction score
Look into renting a core drill if 1 or more circular holes will do the job.
Thanks for your response. Will this weaken the wall less than using a jack hammer? What diameter bit would you recommend to enable me to plumb in the water pipes afterwards?

Reach4

Reaction score
I expect the core drill to weaken a wall less than chiseling or electric hammer. Still, hammering has the advantage that you don't have to pick a size, and you can adjust as you uncover things.

If I were a plumber, and if I were somebody who knew what you were putting in there, I might be able to guess what size drill you would need. I am neither.

I did rent a core drill and cut 4.5 inch holes in concrete . I did rent an electric hammer (little jackhammer) to make a much bigger hole. The drill was neat if you wanted round holes.

Alan Wheeler

Reaction score
I expect the core drill to weaken a wall less than chiseling or electric hammer. Still, hammering has the advantage that you don't have to pick a size, and you can adjust as you uncover things.

If I were a plumber, and if I were somebody who knew what you were putting in there, I might be able to guess what size drill you would need. I am neither.

I did rent a core drill and cut 4.5 inch holes in concrete . I did rent an electric hammer (little jackhammer) to make a much bigger hole. The drill was neat if you wanted round holes.
Thanks for your help.I think I will go with the core drill.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking that a core drill would be good at making a through-hole for a valve body. It would not be good for a blind hole into solid concrete, since the core drill does not empty out the middle. It is a hollow cylinder with carbide, or other hard material, teeth. It would not be good for digging out pipes or cutting channels for new pipe.

Alan Wheeler

Reaction score
I am thinking that a core drill would be good at making a through-hole for a valve body. It would not be good for a blind hole into solid concrete, since the core drill does not empty out the middle. It is a hollow cylinder with carbide, or other hard material, teeth. It would not be good for digging out pipes or cutting channels for new pipe.
The wall is block so it should be ok. I see no reason why I cant use a core drill for exposing the pipes; just switch off water and drill until I hit the pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
The wall is block so it should be ok. I see no reason why I cant use a core drill for exposing the pipes; just switch off water and drill until I hit the pipe.
What happens when you hit the pipe? Do you plan to drill through? Then what?

At first I was picturing the pipes being on the other side of the concrete. I initially misunderstood because I did not read what you wrote well enough.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I wouldn't be using a jack hammer on a wall, maybe a small roto hammer would do though.
I would cover the tub to prevent it from being chipped if parts of the wall fall out, or you drop tools.
You could also use a hammer an chisel on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks