Cutting holes in ceramic tile, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
For 3 handle shower faucets, it seems like a 1 1/4 -1 1/2 inch carbide tipped hole saw will work fine. But what do you guys use to cut out the much larger hole needed (in ceramic tile) for single handle faucets with large backer plates? Remgrit makes a tungsten carbide jigsaw blade. Anyone try that?

Also, I want to get a good set of bimetal general purpose hole saws. Home depot has a 13 piece Ridgid set for about 69.00. Any other recommendations?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Mark the opening and use a good carbide bit to make a lot of holes close together and the the opening your making will fall right into your lap. Be it full ceramic with mud and wire backer or cement board. If it's just glued on to drywall, be very careful.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It very much depends on the type of ceramic...some are too hard for carbide to even scratch.

Either use a diamond hole saw in these conditions, or use a grinder with a diamond cup on it...score around where you want the hole on both sides, cut pie sections through, then break them out.

If it is a really soft wall tile, a RotoZip with a carbide or diamond dry cut bit works wonders.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
If it is a really soft wall tile, a RotoZip with a carbide or diamond dry cut bit works wonders.
That's all I've ever used. They also make a diamond cutting wheel for about $20 and you could make several slashes (if you need a really big hole, and then jusy punch it out.
I love my RotoZip. It's one of my all-time favorite tools.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just got a new Rubi TS-40 tile cutter It was 175.00

I get to practice cutting/drilling tile in the shower in my new apartment. As you can see, someone got lazy or just didn't know how to cut around the valve stems and tub spout. They installed some thin laminated board instead, which is already failing.:eek:

Attachments

• Shower low low res.jpg
    Shower low low res.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 10,939
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks