Cutting door in foundation block wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
I have a home that has a large crawlspace. I have enough headroom, twelve blocks high, to install a standard height 36" door and it would involve cutting through an 8" cement block wall.
It was originally an outside wall with one story above before the addition of a storage room.
Would it be advised to support the above structure before removing blocks, and would a lintel be necessary?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would be wise to contract a professional contractor to do this. You are messing with the structural integrity of the building.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
doorway

You would only need a lintel if there were block or brick above the opening, and it does not appear that you would have room for that. You could need a header, but depending on where you cut the door relative to the framing members above it, there might be little, if any, need for it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks