Cutting concrete floor containing PEX radiant heat lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Spireman

Reaction score
I have a 2300 sq ft unfinished basement that has a hydronic radiant heating system. I want to add an in-law suite with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and a kitchen. Cutting into concrete containing PEX tubing is obviously problematic. I could use flush up systems but putting showers or tubs on risers doesn't appeal to me. I want the plumbing done right and I don't want to destroy the radiant heating system. Replacing the radiant heat with forced air would be a last resort. I know PEX can usually be repaired but can it be after it's been cut through in concrete? I welcome any ideas and suggestions on how to proceed without destroying the radiant heat.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I once saw a video where they tunnelled under the floor from the outside. I think it was Bob Vila.

You might be able to use a thermal imaging camera to locate where the lines run to then plan where to make the cuts.

Spireman

Reaction score
Thanks, Lligetfa. Thermal imaging is a great idea. Maybe, with some luck, the lines will be parallel with the sewage pipe which would make the job less of a problem, though I would still have to take it slow in places.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks