Cutting concrete around basement shower drain? Best way?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by snokel, Jun 9, 2014.

1. snokel

snokel Member

Hi,

My builder put the rough in for the shower and they didn't put a small square form around the pipe when they poured the basement floor,
    Why on earth they didn't take the 5 minutes to do that I will never know, but anyways I need to cut out around it so I can install the PVC shower drain (tile shower)

I was thinking on user a angle grinder with a diamond wheel to score a square around it and then do relief cuts close to the pipe so I don't damage it when chipping it out.

Does this sound like a solid plan or is their a better way?

Thanks in advance.
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

You can get a 7" diamond blade which works nicely in a skil-saw for small jobs like this. Use water to keep down the dust or you will have a major mess to clean up.
  3. snokel

snokel Member

Won't I get zapped if I use the saw wet? I was thinking the grinder as I have a dust shroud for that.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I like using a wet saw. I normally rent the guy with all the tools. I stand by and man his wet vac for him.
  5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

You don't wet the motor, you wet the blade. Plug into a GFCI receptacle.
    Terry is right on about using a wet vac to catch the runoff.