Cutting concrete around basement shower drain? Best way?

Users who are viewing this thread

snokel

Reaction score
Hi,

My builder put the rough in for the shower and they didn't put a small square form around the pipe when they poured the basement floor,
Why on earth they didn't take the 5 minutes to do that I will never know, but anyways I need to cut out around it so I can install the PVC shower drain (tile shower)

I was thinking on user a angle grinder with a diamond wheel to score a square around it and then do relief cuts close to the pipe so I don't damage it when chipping it out.

Does this sound like a solid plan or is their a better way?

Thanks in advance.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can get a 7" diamond blade which works nicely in a skil-saw for small jobs like this. Use water to keep down the dust or you will have a major mess to clean up.

snokel

Reaction score
Won't I get zapped if I use the saw wet? I was thinking the grinder as I have a dust shroud for that.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You don't wet the motor, you wet the blade. Plug into a GFCI receptacle.
Terry is right on about using a wet vac to catch the runoff.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks