Cutting Cast Iron Y!

Users who are viewing this thread

nader3333

Reaction score
I have an active old 4" CI vertical pipe going through the first floor. Just above the floor level, there is a 2"x4"x4" Y with a 2" 45 deg. elbow connected to it which has been plugged with a sort of wood for many years. This connection must have been used for the original kitchen sink drain. This unused Y and the Elbow is taking valuable space in the kitchen and is in the way of the new fridge. Can I cut the 2" branch off the Y and plug it with wood or something?? If yes, what is the best way to do this?? If no, any other suggestions??

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Can I cut the 2" branch off the Y and plug it with wood or something??

NO, absolutely not. You can remove the 45 ell and install a "blind plug", but you cannot cut the branch off the Y.

nader3333

Reaction score
thanks for the tip. I thought I could just cut the branch off the Y, but I guess it could crack or snap the Y or the even the main 4" CI line!!??

nader3333

Reaction score
Can you remove the Y completely and no-hub in a straight section?

I will try to remove the Y but I think I have to cut and remove a section of 4" CI line above the Y and replace it with ABS pipe and proper connectors!!??

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You don't want the weight of any CI above bearing on a piece of plastic.

I would cut out the wye and install a piece of CI pipe with banded no-hub couplers.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Before you cut a section of CI, you must make sure that it can't shift. The stuff above may or may not move depending on what it's attached to, but it could be hundreds of pounds. It could just shift, which could be as bad, making it tough to insert anything and maybe compromising a joint or two above. So, install some proper hanging clamps first.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
"Can I cut a fitting apart and plug it with wood?"

Are you serious? Is this a joke?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks