Cutting Cast Iron 3" Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 3" soil pipe that I need to cut off 1.5" from the hub. My buddy says I should do it with a sawzall with remgrit blades to avoid breaking it.

So what do you guys think sawzall or soil pipe chain cutter?

Tom

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
snap_cutter.jpg

You can saw it, but a snap cutter is easier. Most tool rentals carry them.

Backglass

Reaction score
I didn't know that such tools existed and just used my reciprocating saw with a cast-iron cutting blade I picked up at Home Depot. It's not really a blade...no teeth but rather an abrasive o some kind. It didn't take all that long as I only had two cuts to make. Once you make the initial cut through the wall of the pipe it goes much faster.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Terry
I prefer the Wheeler Rex ratchet cutter. Much easier to use in my estimation.

Attachments

• Wheeler Rex.gif
    Wheeler Rex.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 265

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Snap-cutters are the professional tool to break cast iron pipe, but they take some getting used to and you have to build up some skill with them to avoid shattering the end of the pipe so that you will end up with a fairly even cut. Since you are only wanting to remove 1.5" from the end of a pipe, you will find that the snap-cutter will end up shattering the pipe. So I would suggest for only small jobs like this where you are only trimming off an inch or two, I would just use a carbide recip blade and get a nice easy clean cut.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks