Cutting/Breaking up concrete basement floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Rich_B

Reaction score
I'll be breaking up the concrete basement floor soon to install the shower trap and looking for the best blade to use on my circular saw. From what I've read, a diamond blade seems to be the best method for scoring the concrete a couple of inches and sledging the rest. Any advice on method, saw blade brand, wet vs. dry, etc.. I'm also considering renting?

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Slab cutting

I'll be breaking up the concrete basement floor soon to install the shower trap and looking for the best blade to use on my circular saw. From what I've read, a diamond blade seems to be the best method for scoring the concrete a couple of inches and sledging the rest. Any advice on method, saw blade brand, wet vs. dry, etc.. I'm also considering renting?

Two factors to consider: Time & Mess

My recommendation would be diamond blade and wet cut.

diamond blade really does make light work of slab (depending on thickness)
I cut 2" depth of 6ft x2 runs + 1ft width at each end.

Wet cut will keep the dust down but will create muddy puddles.

BE VERY CAREFUL OF USING HAMMER as this tends to obviously crack unwanted slab and may lead to more repair then intended

Dry cutting wears the blade quicker due to friction and creates heaps of dust

hope that helps

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I use a Skil Saw with a diamond blade... I'd tell you a brand except it doesn't matter and the writing is worn off my blade...

I just use a spray bottle with water it really doesn't take much water.

Set the blade deep and cut.

Then its Hammer time!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks