cutting abs 2 inch drain in tight quarters?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by pmaru77, Nov 1, 2008.

1. pmaru77

pmaru77 New Member

Is there a special tool to cut plastic piping in tight spaces? I have a shower drain that split and have to get in there and splice some new piping.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

What kind of pipe? White PVC or black ABS?
  3. pmaru77

pmaru77 New Member

It's 2" ABS drain pipe. I just bought a wire thing to cut it. It got about 1/3 the way and now is stuck.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Timing is everthing. The wire cuts through heat caused by friction (it actually melts through if it's the kind I think it is). If you stop part way through or go too fast, it get get liquid and seal up behind or on the wire.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I only use the wire on pvc...
    Try a regular saw...
  6. pmaru77

pmaru77 New Member

yeah......I fugured...but too late. Well...it's cut out. I bought 2 45 deg elb. because that is what I thought I cut out, but further inspection...the elbow (orig) are 30 deg. There is only a 6 inch shift (offset) needed and I'm guessing that the 30's make it a little easier to line up, along with draining better.