Cutting a metal door

Users who are viewing this thread

BajaJoe

Reaction score
I have a metal door, and I need to cut about 1.25 inches off of the bottom.

I can't seem to find any information on doing this other than "Don't Do it", but I got the door at a good price and is not returnable.

I was thinking a Circular saw with a blade for cutting metal o maybe even a jigsaw would work, any ideas ???

Thanks !
Joe

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Don't do it.

But if you do, be aware that you may have to replace the inner core that you're cutting off. You will also have to do something to prevent the exposed cut-off metal edges from rusting -- that's the tough part. Good luck.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
A metal kick plate and door sweep ought to take care of the rusting problem on the bottom. I'm not sure what a metal door looks like on the inside, but if it's the same as a hollow core wood door, you can re-use the core that you cut out. Just wedge, it, glue it, or screw it in place. If you can't re-use the old one, just make a new one.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Get a metal cutting blade for the circular saw. Cut the door and replace or make and install a new core. You can try sealing the edge with something like paintable caulk or epoxy. Then paint it. It should last a while, no telling ho long.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
word

Spondulics, in one interpretation, refers to coins piled up like the vertabrae in the spine. Plumbers do not work for coins, we prefer paper or plastic.

BajaJoe

Reaction score
Spondulics :confused:

Spon·du·lics
n. (spŏn*dū"lĭks)
Money. [Slang, U.S.] Bartlett.

Ah!.. now I understand :)

Anyway.. Thanks for the Advice everybody, very helpfull.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks