Cutler GFCI

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Had to replace four Cutler-Hammer GFCI breakers this week as part of an inspector's list. Two 20a and two 15a. I shopped it at Depot and got it half right. No problem on the 20a breakers, but the 15a were wrong. There's a place on the package that says CH if it's Cutler, and BK if it's not. These are Eaton brand devices.
Took them back and found that the 15 is unavailable there and in other area stores. They did have one that claimed to be a "combination" arc-fault device, but nowhere on the package did it say GFCI. That was probably the correct one, but I shopped it at a local supply house and got ones that did say GFCI/AFI on the package to make sure.
Oh, sixty-five bucks each, by the way.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
A) Why did they need to be replaced?
B) AFCI and GFCI breakers are two very different animals. Which did you need?

Note: A "combination arc-fault" is not a combination AFCI/GFCI. It is a combination AFCI, it detects two types of arc faults. They do have a high level of GFCI protection, but that is irrelevant in the scope of things. The level is too high to apply to anything requiring GFCI protection.
Dual function AFCI/GFCI breakers do exist, but they are still pretty rare to see around.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
A) Why did they need to be replaced
B) AFCI and GFCI breakers are two very different animals. Which did you need?

Note: A "combination arc-fault" is not a combination AFCI/GFCI. It is a combination AFCI, it detects two types of arc faults. They do have a high level of GFCI protection, but that is irrelevant in the scope of things. The level is too high to apply to anything requiring GFCI protection.
Dual function AFCI/GFCI breakers do exist, but they are still pretty rare to see around.
Thanks for the comeback, Speedy. That's good information on the arc-fault breakers, defining what they mean by "combination"

The home inspector red-flagged the GFCI breakers as nonfunctional and needing to be replaced. The test button wouldn't work for me either, so I set out to replace them. I was able to get the two 20a GFCI breakers at Depot, but they didn't carry anything that I could positively identify as replacement GFCI breakers in the 15a, just a combination AFCI.

Oddly, don't remember where, but at another house on my travels this week there was another Cutler panel on the premises that had GFCI breakers. I think it was a plumbing job, but I'm kinda nosey and the place was unoccupied, so I punched the test buttons on the GFCI. Nothing happened, nothing tripped. Is that a problem with C-H?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks