Cut the door?

Users who are viewing this thread

TheAndre

Reaction score
I recently just spent weeks remodeling my bathroom in my spare time. The last thing left to do was the floor. It had vinyl flooring....the wife wants tile of course. However, the door won't clear if I put tile down. What's the best and easiest way to fix this? Plain the door? I need to get this done as soon as possible so the wife will let me have a day off. Thanks-

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can cut the door with a saw.

Sometimes I scribe the front side so the wood won't splinter when I'm cutting with a circular saw.
A nice sharp blade helps.

I like to leave about 1/2" under the door so the fan works better.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
door

Put masking tape over the cut, clamp the door between thin boards over the cut, or scribe the cut first. Any of these will prevent or minimize splintering from the saw blade.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
The other issue that you will have if you tile is raising the toilet flange to sit flush on top of the finished tile floor level, so that the wax ring will properly seal between the flange and the toilet base horn. Make sure that the flange is securely bolted on top of the tile floor with only the thickness of the flange above tile level.
If the bathroom is over a basement or crawlspace, you can cut the closet bend and raise the flange (best). Or, there are extensions that you can get (next best). Or, you can double two wax rings to seal it, if necessary (third choice). All three will work.
Good Luck!
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks