Cut out drain?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by wbrisett, Mar 10, 2009.

1. wbrisett

wbrisett New Member

Our house was built 22 years ago, we've been here 10 years now. Recently it became evident that we needed to replace the fixtures in one of the bathrooms. All went well until I got to the drain. When I tried to unscrew it, I ended up breaking the crossbars at the bottom of the drain. So now it looks like I'll have to cut it out. The question is what is the best way to do that? The unit simply won't budge, every time I grab a corner with vise-grips, the corner simply comes off. So, off it comes, but I really don't want to damage the tub any more than it is (some of the fiberglass has already chipped off, I'll have to see about finding a refinishing kit when I'm done with the drain).

I see recommendations to cut out drains in this forum quite a bit, but no suggestions on what tools or how to actually do that.

Thanks!
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

I wouldn't want to tell you how or what to use, especially with a fiberglass tub because you could damage the tub to the point where it would have to be replaced. Bite the bullet and call a plumber who has the correct tools to do it, and the experience.
  4. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009