Cut in cut off short range question

Users who are viewing this thread

jpaul

Reaction score
I have a well-rite (wr 120r) bladder tank with a 40/60 square D switch and submersible pump an a pumptec. The cut in is 40lbs and cut out 44lbs.
The air pressure was 25lbs and I increased it to 38lbs but it did not make a difference.

I started looking at everything because of lower water pressure. Pressure seem pretty good now.

Could you offer some suggestions of where to go from here regarding the switch range?

pump and pumptec are 10 years old the pump is down 300', tank is 16 years old. I have iron in water.
There is also a 5 micron sediment filter after the tank that I change weekly because of orange film. Changed today and already orange.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Could you explain the symptom again? Is this a case where the pump cuts on at 40, but the pressure is only 47 after the pump runs? Or is it that the pump only runs for 16 seconds each time it runs?

jpaul

Reaction score
Yes pump starts at 40 stops @ 44.
I was experiencing lower water pressure at the faucets. I checked the tanks air pressure and it was low, only 25 pounds. My pump turned on at 40lbs so I increased the tank air pressure to 38 lbs. now so far the pressure at the faucets is better. However I noticed that the pump turned off at 44lbs.
The pump should be turning off around 60lbs not 44lbs. So I would think it's cycling more than it should.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
One non-common thing could explain this symptom: suppose the path between the pressure tank and the pressure switch is largely blocked. The pump turns on, but the pressure tank cannot accept water as fast as it used to. So the pressure rises to 60 momentarily, and the pressure switch cuts out. The water hitting the pressure switch does make it to the pressure tank just a bit later, so the pressure drops to 44.

You should get a lab water test. It is probable that you should get a backwashing filter to remove the iron and more. That is unrelated to this problem, since any filtering will be after the pressure gauge, pressure switch, and pressure tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks