Customizable Decora Switches

Users who are viewing this thread

TomMar

Reaction score
Is there such thing as a customizable Decora switch? I have a set of three switches in a single wide box. They are the old style switches and I'd like to replace them with three Decora style switches. The old switches are each its own contained little switch that is attached to a metal frame that is attached to the box. The box is the size that you'd have for a normal single switch.

The reason I need to customize it is because 2 of the switches are single-pole and 1 is a 3-way. It seems like there should be some type of equivalent in the Decora style. Something where you can buy single small decora switches (single-pole and/or 3-way) and attach them together in whatever configuration you want.

Any ideas? I am afraid that the only way I can use decora switches is to expand the size of the box.

Thanks!
Tom

Attachments

• triple-switch.jpg
    triple-switch.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,431
Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
There is a Decora triplex switch exactly like that one, but it is three SP switches.

I know of nothing to directly replace those old Despard switches.

Sixlashes

Plumber in Previous Life
Reaction score
I happened to see this today. The blue box store has a triple Decora-style switch with two single pole and one 3-way switch in one single width switch. I think it was only available in white. The 3 way takes up half of the unit and the two single poles take up 1/4 each.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I happened to see this today. The blue box store has a triple Decora-style switch with two single pole and one 3-way switch in one single width switch. I think it was only available in white. The 3 way takes up half of the unit and the two single poles take up 1/4 each.

No way! That is a very cool find. :cool:
I never saw one of those.
Good job Six.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
How do they jamb all the wiring in there along with the switch?

I would just change it to a 3 gang box and use real switches/dimmers.

Sometimes it's easy :cool:

Other times..:eek: not so much.

TomMar

Reaction score

I found exactly what sixlashes suggested online. It has been installed for five years!!! Sorry for the super late reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks