custom sized tub??

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by doug81, Feb 12, 2012.

1. doug81

doug81 New Member

Hello, any help or advice is ver much appreciated!

I am wondering if and where I could get a custom sized tub made. I live on the first floor of a two flat in Chicago (long skinny house) and we would like to redo our main bathroom. We do not have a tub in our house, just 1 shower. It's 40" x 35". Could I get a tub made to fit this size? Obviously an adult would not use this as a tub. They would stand in it and use it as a shower.... (with the existing shower head... and the drain would still be in the center, as it is now). It would just be nice to have a small sized tub for my 2 year old son and any future children to come. Have you ever seen anything like this before?

Thanks! Doug
  2. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

Are you made of money?
  3. doug81

doug81 New Member

Haha, unfortunately no!! Not possible without it being very expensive?
  4. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

I think they call those.......japanese bathtubs or some crap like that. Google that and see what comes up.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Essentially, I don't know of any place that makes custom sized tubs. If you found someone that could do this, as noted, it would likely be VERY expensive. You could make a tiled tub, but finding a closeable drain designed to work in what's essentially a deep shower is possible, but they also are expensive. The hard part is finding one that can be attached to the required waterproof liner, whether it is either a surface membrane or a clamping drain.

You could probably do this with solid surface materials (like Corian, or Silestone) and use a standard tub drain in it. It would be easier to move the drain to one end, rather than having it in the middle, though. SImpler slopes, too.

Unlikely you'll find something off the shelf.

You could check out Wedi stuff. At least in Europe, they can make some custom stuff. This is a foam product with a tileable surface. they do have a US distributor.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  6. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member