Custom shower pan question

Users who are viewing this thread

utahtea

Reaction score
We had the demolition today for our bathroom remodel. Tomorrow they come to frame the sub floor. We had a unique situation. Our old tub/shower was a one piece fiberglass unit that you stepped down into. In other words you had to step down on to the step and then down into the tub part. It was to large to use as a tub so we usually showered in it. Now we are making it just into just a large 3 1/2 by 5 1/2 by 3 1/2 shower. (Double faucets, seat and grab bars)

The contractor suggested that we not have the threshold and they will build the sub floor lower than the main floor and we will step down into the shower a few inches. There has been some confusion as to how deep this step down is going to be. There was talk of just one inch which would be good so we wouldn't have to step down very far but we are worried if that is deep enough. If it's 3 or 4 inches we're worried about having to step down into it again. We're know frantically trying to decide if we should have the step down or go with the traditional threshold. Any thoughts or comments on what would be the best route.

Thanks in advance.

Utahtea

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can build a curbless shower that does not force you to step down, too. Called a barrier free shower (aka ADA). You may really appreciate that some day if you're ever in a wheelchair. I don't like a shower that has a step in it at all. I'd go with a standard curb or a curbless if it was my place rather than a sunken shower. this generally requires you to waterproof at least part of the rest of the bathroom floor, but that is easily done with readily available membranes (my preference would be Ditra and Kerdi www.schluter.com, but there are a bunch of others).

utahtea

Reaction score
Thanks Jim,

So if it's done right, we don't need the barrier. I have a feeling this is what our contractor was trying to tell us!

Utahtea

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks