Curious about sound...

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jrseaberg, Mar 19, 2007.

1. jrseaberg

jrseaberg New Member

This is totally a non-important question; just curious...:confused:

When I open only the hot water side of any of my faucets, the sound of the water exiting the faucet changes when the water gets warm (it is only a matter of seconds from first turning the faucet on until water gets warm, probably 20' of 1/2" copper from heater to faucet).

If I had to describe it, it sounds like the "pitch" of the noise of running water changes.

If this is happening, and I'm not imagining it, why/what is happening?

Thanks!
    Jim
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

If there are bib washers in that faucet, try changing them..
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

water

Hot water has a lower mass than cold water which changes the pitch, just as the sound of air coming from a pipe will change when the lighter natural gas arrives at the valve.
  4. another change in noise

i notice the same thing, as well as a second noise.

Some kitchen faucets, when hot water reaches them, create a high pitch ("whistle") too, above the base noise. This overtone noise can be heard 30' away -- it carries farther than the base noise, which the person running the water can barely detect above the base noise.

Running hot water can cause irritation at a distance.

david
  5. jrseaberg

jrseaberg New Member

Thanks!

I suspected it had to do with the mass/density of the water, but wasn't at all sure I was right.

Thanks, all, for the responses.
    :)
    Jim S.