Curious about sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

jrseaberg

Reaction score
This is totally a non-important question; just curious...:confused:

When I open only the hot water side of any of my faucets, the sound of the water exiting the faucet changes when the water gets warm (it is only a matter of seconds from first turning the faucet on until water gets warm, probably 20' of 1/2" copper from heater to faucet).

If I had to describe it, it sounds like the "pitch" of the noise of running water changes.

If this is happening, and I'm not imagining it, why/what is happening?

Thanks!
Jim

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

Hot water has a lower mass than cold water which changes the pitch, just as the sound of air coming from a pipe will change when the lighter natural gas arrives at the valve.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
another change in noise

i notice the same thing, as well as a second noise.

Some kitchen faucets, when hot water reaches them, create a high pitch ("whistle") too, above the base noise. This overtone noise can be heard 30' away -- it carries farther than the base noise, which the person running the water can barely detect above the base noise.

Running hot water can cause irritation at a distance.

david

jrseaberg

Reaction score
Thanks!

I suspected it had to do with the mass/density of the water, but wasn't at all sure I was right.

Thanks, all, for the responses.
:)
Jim S.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks