Curious about my water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

lotuseclat79

Reaction score
I just had my water service line (galvanized) replaced with 1 inch plastic from the town shutoff on my front lawn to my house. What a difference! I then had the town run a flow (velocity) rate test the next day which produced 5 gal/1.5 min. of rusty water. Essentially, the excavation crew had to ream out about half of the distance from the shutoff to the main across the street to give me any water pressure/volume flow at all. That put me on the town list to replace the galvanized feeder line from the main to my shutoff, which just got replaced Tuesday - another 1 inch plastic line. No more rusty water! Now the flow velocity rate is 5 gal/1 min measured on the top floor bathtub into a 5 gallon bucket, and I can even run more than one faucet at a time - eureka! What's my water pressure?

Is it possible to compute the water pressure (psi) from the velocity, or is there not enough other information? I haven't studied fluid mechanics in many years so I'm a bit rusty myself.

I really would like to know if there are any water pressure calculators out there that can tell me what psi to expect (40<=psi<=80)? I live on a hill cul-de-sac more toward the bottom than the top, across the street from a fire hydrant (which is the town's priority to maintain good water pressure from a public safety point-of-view), and the nearest town water tower is on another hill at least 1/2 to 3/4 mile away.

I suppose its the case that I should just schlep on down to the local Home Depot and spend $5 get a 100psi water pressure guage to measure it.

Also, if I measure it at the outdoor spigot (ground) level, what % drop in psi is there from that elevation to the 2nd (top) floor of my house - assuming 10 ft differential in elevation - 5%, 10%?

-- Tom

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Be Aware

yes you can just go out and buy a gauge and an outside hose
dapter to check out your new found pressure....

dont worry so much about % rise you have risen....

But, .....the very , very, first thing you should do.....

CHANGE OUT YOUR WASHING MACHINE HOSES!!!!
that is a flood disaster that can happen anytime to you .......
now that the pressure is bumped up , just change them asap...
its only 15 bucks for two ss fluidmaster braided hoses

honestly , it can blow anytime,
your hoses are not used to the new pressure levels...

your water heater isnt used to
the new water pressure levels either..

it might be wise to install a prv valve on your incomming water line
if you have jumped dramatically. and cut your pressure down to
maybe around a safe cosey 75lbs.

Last edited:

lotuseclat79

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback about the washing machine hoses! Great advice.

And the pressure was a solid 38 psi at the spigot in front of the house.

When the town installs a booster pump for our street over the next year or two I imagine the pressure will increase.

-- Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks