Curbless Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Freddie

Reaction score
John,

I've taken your advice and contacted both the drain and mortar places and getting them to commit to anything, any product, any thickness required / approved, etc. is like pulling teeth. How have your progressed on this in the past?

Freddie

Reaction score
Own private testing...I'm not doing this as a business so for you that option is obvious for your reputation but I can't spend a year testing various setups and buying various drains for one install in my home.

Not looking for easy, cheap fast or I wouldn't even be on this board. You've been very helpful in pointing out items that I need to be concerned about and I think I'm fully aware of them now. More than a friend of mine who is a bathroom installer who does great looking stuff and has a good reputation who is oblivious to the word deflection, has never used many of the products that we've talked about. I guess he's been doing it the same way for 20 years with success so why change up things. But can't necessarily trust him as some advice on permits, etc. have not been correct in the least.

So now I know what needs to be done but how to get going on it is tough seeing that I can't get suppliers to say yes things work together. Might just have to wing it with the knowledge that I have and hope for the best. Not looking for anyone to be held liable for their advice; just looking for information on what they might do. Of course the final decision is mine.

Last edited:

Freddie

Reaction score
John, I am quite a bit further ahead than that; just haven't selected tiles yet. I think I've found a way to do this anyways.

Replace 5/8" OSB with 3/4" plywood throught the bathroom. On top of that place Ditra XL over the entire bathroom; laying heating wire in areas that I want within the Ditra XL. Use a QuickDrain Proline flanged drain mounted on top of the Ditra XL; of course Ditra and subfloor cut out to accomodate. I will also add additional supports, as many as I can, near the linear drain without interferring with plumbing, etc..

Waterproof shower up over top of QuickDrain waterproofing. Tile, add shower glass (sadly it'll have to be custom) and voila t'is done.

I will slope entire floor in shower and tub floor next to the shower from back to front; about a 3/4" difference over the 3' or so. Cut side glass on angle at bottom and then I'll have the curbless shower I need at both the door and the side of the shower. Haven't been able to figure out a way to tile the side of the shower slope if I don't slope the bathtub area as well.

Sound good? Anything to worry about or watch out for? Also, once I finalize the size can you quote me on a QuickDrain? You should be able to PM me on this or send me your email address so I can contact you in the next few days.

thanks,

Freddie

Reaction score
Thx John,

I'll sign up for your private ideabook and pictures. I'd buy ACO but can't seem to get any info from them on exactly what the mimimum height above the subfloor needs to be given say an allocation of 3/8" for tile and thinset.

If you could help with this I'd look into ACO again.

Freddie

Reaction score
JOhn,
When I went to the Blog site I could not get to the Canadian Viewer sign-up....it kept sending me to the non-cdn viewer sign-up.

Freddie

Reaction score
John,

Seems like all the drains have some type of drawback or negative comments from people online.

Proline - floor cutting and potential to weaken floor / deflection problems may occur

Kerdi - many are not so sure of the foam pad that they use, 1" high

ACO - some have said that it has little flow in the channel an can begin to stink,some don't like the flange version.

Noble - internal of drain has too many nooks and crannies that can catch lots of junk and not all that easy to remove drain lid, Also is 1.5" high.

So I think you have to just find one that works for you and then try to work around this deficiences. Don't you think?

Freddie

Reaction score
Ok, so sounds like cleaning is not a problem really with any of them and they all need it. I will think about adding a nice trim on the tile at entrance to drain to protect grout below tile; at least the exposed grout will then be at the surface between the tile and the trim.

Care to share your recommendations / suggestions for floor strengthening with the Proline drain?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks