Curbless Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Freddie

Reaction score
Hi John,

Did a bit more research on ACO linear drains at exit and found the flowrate specs for the various drains and heads of water. Looks like minimum of 6 gpm on 36" shower drain with no head and around 8.5 gpm with 0.2" of head. So I would think with only 2 shower heads at 2.5 gpm there should be no problem especially if you lower the linear drain a bit below the tile level as you mentioned previously and then maybe a bit of dry side slope. I will probably try to fit in a wider shower stall, even if it is a few inches more say to fit in the roughly 40" drain. That'll also give me an additional 10% of flow capacity.

Have you had any better success with any specific grate design in applications like this? They all seem to look good and I do like the lit drain option if it's not too expensive an option.

Freddie

Reaction score
Will work on floor joist drawing. Do you want to whole bathroom or would just the area around the shower work for you? Been through the whole design with a number of people; not much other locations for the shower anyways.

No TTMAC tile specs. Will get if I decide that I'm gonna do the tiling.

Was doing a heated floor but was not planning on doing it below the shower.

Freddie

Reaction score
Also, can't seem to find much information on the linear grate linear drain from ACO except for the following:

It states that the Intake sq. in. = 55.38 which is 60% more than the next nearest grate style "Flag". Cannot find any spec on "Linear" grate flow rate and I would assume that it would get more than the Flag based on a higher intake. Looking at a chart they have in their technical manual for flow rates at 0" head:

No grate = 6.65 usgpm
Tile = 6.49 usgpm (makes sense that it would be less given that it has blocked off some of the intake area with tile)
Flag = 6.34 usgpm

Now this is where I get confused. Flag has intake sq. in. = 31.36 while Tile has intake sq. in. = 18.10. Wouldn't you think the one with the larger intake area would be able to process more flow?

Now trying to estimate flow for the linear grate which is not shown and it has intake sq. in. = 55.38.

So either this is not the intake opening of the grate or something is not correct.

Can anyone clarfiy? Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

Freddie

Reaction score
Here's my joist layout dwg after a bit of cutting out of the floor. Hopefully it shows up ok. Ensuite Joists_0001.jpg

Now let me explain:

1. The top horizontal line is the inside of the wall framing on the external wall.
2. The far right vertical line is the inside of the wall framing on the external wall.
3. The dashed line indicates a wall I will be adding to run the plumbing so that it is inside the insulation.
4. All the joist are 2" x 10".
5. Horizontal dimensions are (from right to left): 0,10,26,42 inches
6. Vertical dimension are (from top to bottom): 0, 26, 36.25,42,48.5 inches

Also, here is a snapshot of how it currently looks:

Ensuite Bathroom Reno 034 resized.jpg

Freddie

Reaction score
The linear grate from ACO will be I'm sure the highest flow rate of their grate options - the tile top the lowest.

That's what I would have thought as well. Just saying their data sheets seem a bit wonky on that. If you see a spec sheet on the linear grate with respect to flowrates I'd appreciate it if you could forward a copy or a link to it.

thx,

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, most of the strength in a solid joist is established by an intact top and bottom section - one in tension, the other in compression. The rules for drilling holes restrict cutting holes near the ends since that's where walls and things may be located and pose a crush risk. Other than that, the holes need leave the top and bottom of the joist intact. Think I-beam or truss...the top and bottom are important, while on some designs, the middle is mostly open. Basically, the middle holds the top and bottom in the right place in a beam, but may not contribute a lot to the overall strength. That's why there are restrictions on where you can drill holes. The further apart the top and bottom are, the stronger it gets (if you can keep the top and bottom aligned).

Freddie

Reaction score
Hi Freddie.

I personally hate working over OSB sheathing like you have there. Any chance you plan on switching it out for regular sheathing?

I have to take up at least 1/2 of the floor for mods to plumbing drains and water supply to freestanding tub so I was planning on changing it. What do you mean by regular sheathing? Plywood? Our whole house is OSB. What is your concern here?

Where the floor joists meet each other (IE North South meets West East) are those joist tied in to each other with a Simpson Strong Tie joist hanger? I can not see the nailing pattern on how these where ganged together. Are they nailed together from the other side. Stacks of 4 nails (3") on about 8-10" centres????

Looks like 3" nails in stacks of 2 every 16", no joist hangers.

Any idea why the sub floor is going black in the bottom right corner? I would open up the drywall and inspect that wall a little near that area.

Black is small surface mold from front corner of old shower base. I will be taking that up and replacing once I prepare for plumbing changes. Want to do all the flooring at the same time. Also there are some parts around the toilet that need replacing as well. So basically I'll but removing all of the floor by the end of it.

Is the linear drain going at the entry at roughly 42" off that back wall? If so then it's not so hard to recess that space as long as there is no HVAC, wiring, and plumbing in that bay.

Yes. Space has no HVAC, wiring, some water supply to toilet but that is a 1/2" line that runs below the joists; between the bottom of joist and ceiling drywall of 1st floor. The drain plumbing is a bit in the way and most likely will have to be moved. I have to up to 2" anyways so... It comes through the space currently parallel at 37" from the right wall.

Tha black ABS pipe appears to be rubbing the floor joists. How large of holes are drilled here? Make sure no holes are drilled within 2" of the joist top or bottom. That means the edge of the hole not it's center so a 2 3/8" hole drilled in a floor joist needs to be started no closer than 3 3/16" from the top or bottom...

Holes are just a bit bigger than the current 1.5" drain and are 3 1/4" from the top fo the 2 x 10. No rubbing.

Did talk to the city inspector by phone and as you said, no code with respect to curb or no curb, they don't even turn on the water. All they do is make sure plumbing changes were done to code and are inspected before flooring and walls put back on. No flood test but I be doing it anyways. Mostly concerned that proper waterproofing is done. 6' up in shower, 16" above tub with no hand spray, 3' - 11" with hand spray in tub. Water resistant floor outside of tub. Basically Ceramic tile is considered waterproof even with the grout. He said that most backing used is waterproof anyways. I guess he assumes no one will tile on drywall or greenboard in the shower without Kerdi or roll on waterproofing but that's a big assumption for those not doing the research.

Freddie

Reaction score
You can see that the trim is set to line up with the hardwood after it is glued down. From finished floor to drain grill height I have 5/8" or the thickness of my "Chubby".

JW

John,

Pretty busy right now but trying to move forward a bit before we leave for NYC in a few days. Just looking at this picture and I assume that the trim was placed on the side as well at the same height above the drain to match up with the floor. Assuming that is true and that the floor drains from the laundry machines down to the linear drain then there should be 5/8" of drain from the right end of the drain to the trim. As you move farther back along the right side the mud will be rising but the trim will be remaining level so some funky tiling will be needed. Just trying to make sure I understand this to see if I can somehow use something like this in my application.

Also, are you aware of which linear drains are CSA approved for use in Canada? That's one thing the inspector mentioned; all things must be csa approved.

Have a good holiday season and probably won't hear from me until after the new year.

Freddie

Reaction score
Looks like LED lighting where the edge of the glass is going to go. Nice touch.

You mention ABS clamping drain. Did that comes with the linear drain? Looks familiar to what I've seen that is part of the Quartz linear drain install.

Freddie

Reaction score
Hi John,

Just been looking at the Noble linear drains and am impressed by the design of it. Seems to be quite easy to install and easy to connect to a noble membrane. Couple of questions:

1. They talk about a "full bed mortar installation" and a "thin-bed install". When would you use the full bed install method? I still got lots to learn on this.

2. Would you recommend this drain or is their a better one that you would recommend? Price of course is of concern but installation procedure and size will play a role.

Noble then ACO then Proline then Schluter??

Looking for any feedback on these that might help me select one over the other. Feel free to private message me if you prefer.

thx,

Freddie

Reaction score
Nice looking point drains.

I'll contact the guy from ACO this week but in looking at their drains, in terms of vertical space requirements, there is a requirement for 1.5" of mortar and tile above the membrane and the membrane is approx. 1" from the floor so 2.5" from the floor in total which is not gonna work for me.

Noble drain to me might work. I'll contact the Noble guy as well. Of course I'll mention to both that you recommended that I call you.

Freddie

Reaction score
Hi John,

Just looked at QuickDrain Proline Drain. Looks to me that the drain body sits on the floor and then you just tile up from there. To me that would mean the top of the drain is about 1/2" above the floor rather than 2.5" with the ACO drain. I could then easily use this drain. Am I missing something here?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
My inspector allowed an electric towel warmer just outside the tub/shower as long as it was wired directly into a GFCI. I have mine on a separate GFCI CB. I have it wired to a Lutron timer with clock. This also has an override, but only will keep it on through the next 15-minute segment.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I wouldn't really want a switch or receptacle within easy reaching distance of the tub or shower. The control for my towel warmer is on the side opposite the tub/shower, so you'd have to reach over the towel warmer to get to it...it would be tough without getting out of the tub first. I think that there is a code requirement on the distance from a wet area, but don't have access to the codes easily. But, consider the location of a receptacle over a vanity with the sink right there...easy to reach the water and the electrical appliance at the same time...this is one reason GFCI protection is required.

Freddie

Reaction score
Freddie that detail is for a CPE or rubber membrane. Not for a bonded membrane. Ask Geoff about bonded membranes.

JW

I would think that the CPE membrane would be a better waterproofing than the bonded membrane since I have the choice. I guess the difference might be that the CPE membrane needs more protection before tiling? Can't see why but I'll use what I have to use to keep the thickness of the whole install down but would prefer the CPE membrane.

Freddie

Reaction score
John,

Just looking at some of your photos. In my case I have will have a linear drain at the entrance of the shower which is one end of the rectangle. The floor will slope up from there to the back of the shower. I assume that the glass for the side panel would have to be cut to match the slope of the shower and rest on the edge of the incline. Or, can you just rest in on the main bathroom floor and silicone the glass to the edge of the tile? I would think in either case that one would wrap the waterproofing in under the bathroom floor.

Just trying to work ahead until I hear back from some of your buddies.

I'm trying to do the same as on the right photo on page 16 labelled "Installation at the Entrance" except I'll have a door on the entrance as well.

Freddie

Reaction score
Quick Drain says you can cut through the subfloor and sit there drain down. Schluter says that. ACO says that. You can if you want to follow their instructions but if your looking up stats from the TCNA or TTMAC you will not find this info. You will also not find a setting material company that will agree with them.

I've done this with all of them but only after I have beefed up the subfloor.

If you have one layer of 5/8" plywood installed and braced level with the floor joist. One layer of subfloor installed over this prep. Some 1/4" cement board installed with thiset and roofing nails over those two layers you have a tank. This prep as well not detailed in either the TCNA or TTMAC. Prep up the two in a mock up out in your garage - see which is better, which you think will last longer - The way I'm describing or the way the line drain makers suggest you build.

It would be easiest for me to tell you to install the flanged ACO drain or the Proline and sell it to you. I sell each of these drains. But what your trying to build is a complected barrier free shower and the look you are after requires a lot of effort.

If the linear drain company say you can do X,Y,Z ask them to tell you exactly the products you need - I.E. what manufacture and what SKU from them.

All that is required in Canada to pass building code is that you follow the manufactures recommendations - that's it. We redo showers like this all the time. The drain I'm installing at my buddies place is a Quick Drain USA Proline. We ripped it out of a job 10 months back because it was installed wrong (by another tile crew) and the client called me to inspect. I told them their shower was a do over.

I shy away of posting all my pictures online because it's so easy for someone to look at one of my jobs and go - "Oh. That's what you do!" When in fact that was only what could work for that specific job.

Call those setting material companies. Get all your duck is a row. Call me - you have my number.

JW

Jim, Talked to a guy who sells the Proline drain and he told me that a full Lacticrete lifetime warranty was in order for the entire shower if all their products were used with the Proline drain and that QuickDrain has approved the use of Lacticrete products with their drain. The guy also said that there would be no problem with me matching up this drain with the level of the finished floor. Not a complicated install.

Above you mentioned how hard my install was and how complicated it was. Am I missing something in the translation.

Still awaiting response from both Geoff and Eric.

Freddie

Reaction score
Not sure who this Josef is but you must have me mistaken with someone else. The guy I talked to carries the Proline at a retail outlet in Ottawa.

Yes I understand the deflection and would of course beef up the floor as much as I can. Right now my floor is good for L/720+ as it is. So If I just replace the floor I still have the same rating. If I have enough room I will add additional supportive flooring above the main 5/8" flooring. For the drain area, if I cut the floor I'll beef up the floor by adding additonal floor below that portion and probably the whole shower area.

This is my option B at this point. I've moved on to trying to use a single point drain in the middle of the shower with a curbless design.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks