Curbless shower rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

C Williams

Reaction score
I'm at the point of under slab rough in and looking for some advice before we pour the house slab.

I'm wanting to construct a curbless shower stall (54"x 36") and wondering what my best approach would be. The finishing in the bathroom will be the acid etched concrete slab with a tiled shower area. Is it common and would it make sense to recess the concrete in the shower area by X inches to accommodate a shower floor system like Kerdi Pan etc.? If so, what should X be.

I can also see a time in the future where someone might want to convert this space to a bathtub/shower but jack hammering up the floor would be ill advised since it will have radiant heat pex embedded in it.

So the next question is where/how should locate the shower drain such that, at some time in the future one could easily utilize the existing drain for a tub. I guess I’m looking for a rough in procedure that would be suitable for both. A linear shower drain would also be nice but that might complicate things and it's probably outside of my snack bracket.:(

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

C Williams

Reaction score
At concrete placing time you do not want to be building a piano. A simple 2"x4" form will do the trick.
Love it!

Thanks John, My slab is only 4" thick so I guess I could just forgo the concrete in the shower area and just leave exposed Insulation. What about drain rough in? Just box it in like a normal tub?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You want the recessed slab to be of comparable thickness, so it will take some rebar bending and a depression in the slab there to keep things monolithic. You do not want the new shower pan to be floating from the existing slab or bad things will happen. My unprofessional opinion...you're just asking for the tile to crack over the transition into the main slab.

Wilson22

Reaction score
Thanks John,

The perimeter drain is 20" below the slab height. Have I decide on the drain I want? Nope. Tile layout? Nope. Waterproofing system? Nope. Show size? 36"x 64"

Perhaps I need to know to much of the finished details to have a curbless shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks